Thursday, March 25, 2010

Veggie "Burgers" (???)

Allow me to preface this post with a disclaimer. I am at home sick. Not mega sick, but missing class to get all the sleep I couldn't get tossing and turning last night. Outside the weather is cool and grey. This is the perfect day for chicken noodle soup and I have simply found no substitute for it. I have subsisted all day on vegetable thins instead. For this reason my post my be a bit lacking in pep.

A mission within the veggie lent challenge was to find out the truth about veggie burgers. Who makes them? Are they gross? Are they cheap? Are they healthy? And so on. Here is one result of my study and more will follow. I looked only at veggie burgers within the eating out context, and kept everything simple. I stuck to the menu in terms of toppings for the most part.

Fresh BBQ Burger with Salad

This burger is vastly different from those described below. For one it is not really a fast food burger but a sort restaurant burger. Fresh is an odd mix of juice bar and diner style food joint which fits into that vast category of 'casual dining'. I thought it was important to include this since it will be the only option coming from a radically pro-vegetarianism establishment.

The burger is served with BBQ sauce, tomatoes and lettuce as well as two of the house onion rings. You can pick salad or fries as your side and the menu offers the option of getting your burger without the bun. This seemed a bit odd until I received my selection and was faced with the largest burger bun ever. Not just a massive kaiser which easily squishes beneath your fingers... no this bun was really a round Loaf of springy, resistant whole wheat bread. It was nice bread, topped with seeds and oats and very flavorsome, but it was definitely the worst case scenario in burger eating.

Inside the Loaf I found two massive MASSIVE onion rings also contributing to the impossibility of eating my burger. They are battered, believe it or not, in Quinoa. I decided to eat these and then try to get at the burger. They were amazing, unreal good. Very dark and crispy exterior with absolutely no grease but a perfect level of moisture and perfectly oniony exterior. I could eat these every single day and never miss a hashbrown or a curly fry. The had also picked up a bit of the house made BBQ sauce which was tasty and delicious. Classically, I can't be satisfied calling it a BBQ sauce since it was much too light and tangy. There was no tomato, smoke or molasses base to it and that is simply not BBQ to me. This sauce was partnered with a vegan mayonnaise and the fear of wondering what mystery substance was used to replace the egg and end up with the exact texture of mayonnaise made me ignore it completely.

The burger patty itself was disappointing to me. Along the lines of the BBQ sauce it tasted good but I can't consider it a burger. It was crumbly and awkward inside the Loaf. Crispy exterior clashed with mushy interior in an unnatural way and in the end it was easier just to break off bits and eat it like a side dish.

This experience raises one question for me: if you wont have meat on your burger why make a burger at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment