Monday, March 15, 2010

The Veggie Grump

Although I admit that my schedule is busy- I work between 24 and 40 hours a week, take 5 courses at University and then cram the rest of my life into the space in between- I don't think it is enough to really merit how tired I am.

Don't get me wrong. In the past, there have been times (particularly midterms and finals) when things have gotten a little out of hand and I have found it hard to have any time just to relax. This is the sometimes difficult but ultimately expectable tired that comes with choosing a hectic lifestyle.
The kind of tired I am now is something very different. Of course I am in the midst of writing papers, family ceremonies and march break at a children's store, but these things are anticipated forms of exhaustion. You can prepare for them. It is possible also that my body is rejecting the notion of daylight savings time after having been robbed of an hour's sleep this weekend.

Another possible answer to my ennui is a nutritional one. The human body needs protein and iron for energy and strength. Despite my best efforts to have protein at every meal and to monitor my nutrient deficiencies it is very possible that I am not quite getting enough. Let's face it; if you are feeling tired already you are 100% less likely to want to think about what you are eating. I have also noticed that the limit sources of protein available to me mean that, where I would normally consume 5 small meals a day, I am now regrouping protein sources to eat only 2 or 3 larger meals.

So there are the environmental factors of being busy and the nutritional factors of limiting intake but there is something bigger lurking out there. It is psychological, physiological and probably chemical. I am calling it "The Veggie Grump".

The Veggie Grump is a serious infliction. Brought on by the dryness of the mouth which snacks on granola and nuts. Fed by the alienation of being able to order nothing but grilled cheese ! Compounded by the bloating caused by pounds and pounds of flavourless, Canadian winter vegetables. The Veggie Grump makes you put down your cookbook and pay over 9$ for a veggie patty. The Veggie Grump steals your vitality, vigour and love of quinoa. Yes, even lentils are mushy, baconless masses of fiber. And how could anyone survive this much fiber?


I do not know if there is a cure for the Veggie Grump. Maybe the cure is succulent, energizing lamb for Easter dinner. Maybe the cure is to dig deeper into the cookbooks, to return to the drawing board, to seek exotic vegetables grown in warm and distant climates.

I am also considering buying a juicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment