Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Protein Pie

After an overnight shift at work (which itself followed a busy stretch of time) I find myself exhausted today, not to mention sore and achy. Truth be told I am not sure that I would have made it through an eight hour shift of moving and lifting, cleaning and purging, organizing and fluffing without a secret magic weapon: protein pie!

Okay.
Not so much protein pie as Chocolate Tofu Pie. Approved by my sister and her boyfriend, as well as my coworkers I can say that this particular stab at vegetarian dessert was a success. Even if the above mentioned people weer simply being polite, I love the stuff.

I have made Chocolate Tofu Pie before, but not directly. A friend of mine was making it for some dinner party and I vaguely remember helping out. I do recall the basic premise, though, which is to combine a ratio of melted chocolate and silken tofu and allow to set in some kind of crust.

In order to gain some more details about this baking adventure (which I have been set on creating for weeks) I consulted several recipes. Many of these add bits and pieces to the basic formula I laid out; maple syrup, peanut butter etc. I elected to combine the amount of tofu I happened to buy (3 packs of blue menu President's Choice silken tofu, unflavored) with the amount of chocolate chips we had in the house (1 package of President's Choice Decadent milk chocolate chips and around 60% of a package of Chipits).

I am slightly ashamed to admit that I bought two premade Graham Cracker pie crusts both 7 inches in diameter. To the basic ingredients I threw in my own twist of a handful of fresh mint finely chopped (by my boyfriend and his new mini food processor/hand mixer/immersion blender) with two teaspoons of vanilla extract. Once the chocolate was melted it went into the tofu along with the mint and voila! Two pies fulls of fat-free, proteiny, vegetarian goodness.

Seriously, a slice of this stuff can keep you going for hours.
Pictures to follow with John's assistance!

No comments:

Post a Comment