Friday, February 19, 2010

A Touch of Tofu

Veggie day two food intake:

Footlong veggie sub from Subway - Wholly unsatisfying. Whilst it was an excellent opportunity to have a different sauce with my Subway (I just can't escape the killer combination of hot sauce and ranch during omnivorous Subway visits), I ended up disappointed for a number of reasons. First of all, I didn't get the Subway-standard 6 slices of tomato. Someone didn't successfully completed their Sandwich Artist training. Having worked at Subway for 6 months, I am now one of those annoying people who knows exactly how many meatballs should be on a meatball sub and will tell you if you short change me (but won't say a word if I get an extra one). Maybe I should get a job as a Subway mystery shopper.

Secondly, there was no meat on it. To make up for this I considered blasting it with salt but thought that would defeat the point of having a sandwich made entirely of salad and so decided against it. I should have had cheese though - the salvation of the vegetarian. There's always cheese to take the edge off! Being a vegan must be a living hell.

Tofu and vegetable stir fry with tea-infused couscous - Amidst the jars of things in the fridge that I have made and then forgotten about are two jars of apricot mop - basically apricot jam boiled with some vinegar, ginger and sriracha (chinese chilli sauce). Apparently it is the perfect accompaniment to crispy deep fried chicken wings but I never got that far in the recipe. However, the apricot mop is the ultimate condiment for all occasions, including dipping pitta bread, using as the base of a salad dressing and, of course, splashing over meat. Yesterday it formed the base of this tasty stir fry cooked by Sam. She also had the genius idea of cooking couscous in minty tea rather than the usual boiling water or stock. I don't think the flavour of the mint came out as much as I would have liked but you could certainly taste the tea and I think she's on to something interesting. Imagine couscous cooked in apricot mop! It can't get much better than that.

Much as I enjoyed this meal, there is definitely something odd about tofu. I haven't had much experience with it in the past, despite having been vegetarian for lent once before. It has only appeared in my life in small pieces in hot and sour soup, or as a barely noticed component of a Pot Noodle. In both of these cases, the tofu was soft and wet and slurped down with everything else in my bowl/pot in big, mushy spoonfuls. So this was really the first time that I've chewed tofu and it took me some time to come to terms with the texture. It's not quite meat, it's not quite cheese, it's not quite mush. It's just somewhere close to each of these without sitting firmly in one camp. I found that a little disconcerting so perhaps I would enjoy softer tofu more as it would be further from familiar textures. I will investigate and keep you posted.

President's Choice Blue Menu Key Lime ice cream - Mmmm fake-sugar delicious

John

No comments:

Post a Comment