Friday, February 19, 2010

Snack My Life

So it should be abundantly clear by now that John has a much easier time with food than I do.

Comparing our 'Day One' food totals and having to call him every lunch (not just vegetarian ones!) to get ideas on what to eat has taught me that he is a food natural. I am certain that scientific study of John would reveal that he thinks about food more than he thinks about me, and I have long made my peace with this. For my part, I don't think a lot about food unless I am cooking it. I eat a lot, or at least I eat a lot more than people expect given my size. I am prone to mindless snacking, impulse food court decisions and eating deli meats straight out of the pack. I am not the type to realize that I am hungry, nor that I am full... I just munch. Munch things here and there without any conscious brain activity about what I am doing. But what I really love about food is the experience I have with it when I am aware of it, so part of the idea of a Vegetarian Lent was to get me thinking about food again.

And I am happy to report that I have had my first great Lent Epiphany on Food. As I got more and more defeated about John having such a yummy first day and always being able to scratch a positive food experience out of any situation (including poverty- birthplace of the condiment sandwich) a familiar saying of mine floated through my head, FML. I puttered about the Kitchen having eaten nothing all morning and grumpily shrugged off all my options. F granola bars. F toast. F kiwis! Then an idea formed in my brain...

Toast One Poppy Seed (or equivilant) Bagel. Ensure toaster is clear of dust and debris due to neglect. Also ensure Bagel is properly defrosted and will not end up a horrible burnt/ice combo. Chop (aka. randomly attack with knife) Sun-dried Tomatoes which lurk in the back of the fridge soaking in olive oil. Spread these onto warm Bagel in random but balanced patches. Unwrap one wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese for each half of Bagel, mmm gluttony. Spread on top of Tomatoes. Finish with generous sprinkling of Italian Herbs Mix.

At this moment, this was the best snack of my life. All the flavour of naughtily eating the Sun-dried Tomatoes straight out of the jar, all the energy of eating real food, all the pleasure of Laughing Cow. All grumpiness gone, my love of desperately created snacks was instantly rekindled.

Snack My Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment